Before calling your roofer firstly find out that what factors really determine whether a roof repair will solve the problem or the house needs a roof replacement. Here are some tips which will help to solve this problem:-
1) Age of the Roof:- First of all determine that how old your roof is? Most experts agree that maximum age of roofing is 20 to 25 years. It also depends if the roof was installed over another layer or several layers, than there are more chance that you need to install a new roof.
2) Scope of the Issues:- If you didn’t understand that what to do based on the current age of your roof and the costs, there are some critical issues which will help you to solve the problem:-
1) Generalized Shingle Deterioration:- Deterioration is one of the critical issue. When sun light is out visit your attic to verify that daylight coming through multiple seams. If you find that then it’s time to consider roof replacement.
2) Multiple Leaks: Find out interior leaks in your home, if you have several different interior leaks then it’s time to consider roof replacement rather than spot repair.
3) Valley Issues:- Valleys are areas that particularly prone to leaks, and can be difficult to repair without stripping away significant sections of shingles.
3) Layers of Shingles:- Shingles that are curled or buckling are another sign that you may need a new roof. Shingles with multiple layers prove more difficult and costly to repair then single layer repairs.
4) Missing shingles and Chimney flashing:- These are another sign your roof could be failing. Check to see if all of the shingle tabs are intact. If your flashing consists of roof cement or tar, it may need to be replaced with a long-term, water-tight fitting, which would be a metal flashing system.
5) Shingle granules in the gutters:- Check gutters to see whether they are loaded up with shingle granules. Roofs tend to lose more granules toward the end of their life cycle. Inconsistent or darker colour on roof is the sign that shows that granules have worn.